far shot of group of people

Welcome to Kinesiology

Information and next steps for newly admitted graduate students.

Training Courses

Before you can start working, there are a few required training courses that you have to complete as (​or before!) you arrive on campus. Click on each one to find out more and how to register. 

At the start of each term (September, January, and May), the Faculty hosts a workshop to help familiarize you with the program and the Faculty structure. This session is mandatory to attend for all incoming students.

You should receive an invitation when you accept your offer into the program, or you can email the Graduate Program Coordinator for Kinesiology at knesgrad@ucalgary.ca  if you need it re-sent.

Before classes begin in September/January, instructors will host a TA Orientation. KNES 373 hosts an orientation separately in Sept/January. TAs can reach out to the course instructor for more information.

In-person course (Requires prerequisite of WHMIS 2015 completion) at start of term.

Read more on other courses and training you need as you get started. Most of these courses are self-enrolled, and it is up to you to make sure you have enrolled and completed them on time. 

Faculty of Grad Studies and ISS (International Student Services) offer orientations during Block Week each term. 

Have questions? Email Kinesiology Graduate Program.

person conducting experiements

Getting Set Up in the Faculty

All official policies for the program are in the Faculty Graduate Student Handbook

As you get settled in, talk to your supervisor about: 

Getting Set Up On Campus and In Town

See the New Student Guide and Welcome Centre for important information before, during, and after your arrival on campus.

For international students the International Student Services office provides support and advising for international students, including an orientation session

Once you’re on campus:

  • Install the UC Emergency App for alerts and "working alone" support
  • Lost? Try the Interactive Room Finder
  • See other Mental and Physical Health resources on campus
  • The Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan (AHCIP) covers basic medical services for free. View insurance information (coverage for new residents begins after three months). 
    • Apply for an Alberta Health Care Card: If you were not a current resident of Alberta before, you will need to apply for Alberta Health Care.  You will need a Passport/government picture ID, Study Permit, and Proof of an Alberta address. (letter from your landlord).  You can apply for this FREE service at any Alberta Registry Office.  www.health.alberta.ca  or call AB toll-free at 310-0000 then 780-427-1432.
  • Before you can get paid or receive scholarships and grants, you must have a:
  • Make sure you take some time and visit the Graduate Students Association to view your health and dental benefits or to go over other Graduate student policies. It is important to note that grad students have a free pass to the wellness center!
photo of winter campus
calgary c-train statopm