Thesis exam requirements to graduate
You must prepare for the exams weeks in advance. Review what you will need to do to be ready for your thesis and to graduate.
A form entitled Notice of Masters Thesis Oral Examination is prepared by the Office of the Associate Dean (Graduate). Information for this form MUST be submitted to the Office of the Associate Dean (Graduate) at least five weeks before the scheduled date of the examination. Email email@example.com for more information.
- Date, time and location of examination
- MSc thesis title
- Committee composition
The committee composition is (normally) as follows:
- Neutral Chairperson – Appointed by the Office of the Associate Dean (Graduate) (Non-Voting Member of Examining Committee)
- Supervisory Committee Member
- Supervisory Committee Member
- 'Internal' External - UCalgary faculty member outside Kinesiology who meets criteria below
The "Internal" External criteria:
- well-established research reputation
- expertise in the area of the student's research
- experience in evaluating theses at the graduate level
- experience in supervising to completion at the graduate level
- Is not a close personal friend of the Supervisor
- has not collaborated with the supervisor in the last five years
- is not related to the student, and has not worked with the student
- The thesis must be distributed by the student and received by each examiner no less than 21 days before the oral examination date. This deadline is extremely important.
- The 'Examiner's Report on Thesis' will be sent to the examiners after Faculty of Graduate Studies has approved the examination. This is the report on which each examiner will complete his/her written report of the thesis.
- Review the processes and forms required to submit the thesis to the Faculty of Graduate Studies: Electronic Submission Thesis Forms. You must bring the Thesis Approval Form (PDF) to your defence.
- Apply to graduate (the Application for Degree is on your Student Centre) by the following deadlines:
- September 15th for November Convocation
- January 15th for February Conferral of Degree
- March 31st for June Convocation
Submit your dissertation and all required forms* to the Faculty of Graduate Studies by the following deadlines:
- Fall Fee Deadline (approximately September 30th) for November Convocation
- Winter Fee Deadline (approximately January 27) for February Conferral of Degree
- End of Winter Term (approximately April 30) for June Convocation
The deadlines are subject to change. Confirm the dates on the Graduate Calendar.
Please note: The Thesis Approval Form must be signed by the entire examining committee, and the Notice of Completion form must be signed by the supervisor and the Associate Dean Graduate. Leave yourself enough time to get these signatures.
So you do not pay fees for the next term, all program requirements must be completed by the next term's registration deadline. This includes defending, revisions and submitting required paperwork to the Faculty of Graduate Studies.