Tips for Kinesiology students who want to study outside of Canada.
Study outside of Canada
We want you to have the opportunity to study abroad.
Whether you do an exchange program for one semester, or a one-week group study, it's great to have international experiences as part of your degree program.
Benefits of studying abroad
One of the biggest benefits of studying abroad with the UCalgary program is that you pay UCalgary tuition instead of international tuition. You also remain eligible for student loans.
Review the steps in the checklist to the right to see if studying abroad is for you and watch the video below.
Study abroad 101
See the first part in a four-part series on studying abroad.
Checklist to study abroad
- Attend an information session or watch the video series.
- Find a program. The Study Abroad website lists all countries, schools and programs.
- Find funding information. There is almost $1 million in UCalgary funding available for study abroad programs and external awards that may also apply to your program.
- Review your degree requirements to see where you have room for exchange courses. Meet with a kinesiology advisor to verify.
- Apply for the Study Abroad program.
- Find out what you need to do once you've been accepted into the Study Abroad program and complete the steps outlined by the Study Abroad Office.
- Consult your Study Abroad advisor for tips on course selection and registration. Email email@example.com the school name and exact courses you plan to take, to learn how courses will transfer. If the courses have not been previously reviewed, outlines may be required. If the school doesn’t share outlines, you may have to wait until you arrive at your exchange institution before you can access course outlines.
- Finalize your course list and apply for a Letter of Permission in the advising tab of your student centre. Follow-up with an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with detailed course outlines (if available). Note: Group Study programs do not require a Letter of Permission.. Note: Group Study programs do not require a Letter of Permission.
- Enjoy your international experience, and when it’s complete, arrange for an official transcript to be submitted to the Study Abroad Office at UCalgary. You will be notified when the transcript arrives and the transfer credit process has begun. For more information, visit Returning to Canada.