Yoga Thrive is a research-based, therapeutic yoga program for cancer survivors and their support persons.
Yoga Thrive is a research-based, therapeutic yoga program for individuals living with cancer or beyond and their support persons. This gentle, 12-week yoga program is based on hatha yoga, but has been modified for cancer survivors; especially those who are experiencing stiffness, pain, stress, or fatigue. Dr. Nicole Culos-Reed has been researching the benefits of this program since 2002. Past participants have found significant benefits in overall mood, stress levels, physical strength, and quality of life.
Who can join Yoga Thrive?
Yoga Thrive is open to all individuals living with or beyond cancer (on or off treatment) and their support persons. Since its inception, more than 1,100 individuals living with cancer or beyond and their support persons have participated in Yoga Thrive classes.
About the Classes
- Class sizes are kept small (maximum of 15) to ensure individual attention and safety
- No previous yoga experience is necessary
- Each class is 75 minutes and held once per week over a 12-week period
- The program is progressive (i.e. each class builds on the previous)
- Each class is led by a certified instructor trained in the Yoga Thrive program
New sessions begin approximately every 10-12 weeks, with live & on-demand sessions running from September to June each year.
Visit the The Yoga Effect for a list of the Yoga Thrive classes currently being offered in your area.
More about our program
Central to the program is the Yoga Thrive Teacher Training Program (YTTTP), a 32-hour certification program that equips yoga instructors with the expertise to teach therapeutic, cancer-specific classes. YTTTP is based at the University and is in collaboration with Tyla Arnason, Senior Yoga Thrive Instructor, Yoga Thrive Teacher Training Facilitator and Program Development, and Owner of The Yoga Effect.
More than 150 yoga instructors have been trained through YTTTP around the world. This growing network of qualified teachers has expanded Yoga Thrive tremendously with teachers educated and trained to work in the cancer community in 14 locations around Calgary, a number of locations across Alberta including Cochrane, Edmonton, Jasper, Lethbridge, Medicine Hat, and St. Albert, as well as Newfoundland, Saskatoon, and Ireland.
Interested in joining us?
- What is Yoga Thrive? Take a look at this video to learn more about our program!
- The Health and Wellness Lab has published a yoga manual for child and adolescent cancer patients and survivors, as well as their families: Yoga Thrive for Youth: Practices to promote wellness during and after cancer treatment by Robyn Long, S. Nicole Culos-Reed, and Gregory Guilcher.
- Yoga Thrive video
- Are you a fitness and health professional interested in our Cancer & Exercise Training?
Add publications for this study here
Message to our website visitors
Material on this website has been designed for information purposes only. It should not be used in place of medical advice, instruction, and/or treatment. If you have specific questions, please consult your doctor or an appropriate health care professional.